Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Around the world - Madagascar - Wanna fight or go for a ride?

This morning, my travel companion spiced up the breakfast. How one can spice up a breakfast, you may ask? Well, let's just say that some people get the best out of you and some get the worst out of you. In this case it wasn't all hugs and kisses. Well, a "kiss my ass" did come out of somebody's mouth? It's just that I am not into that kind of kissing!

As we were eating our breakfast calmly, few meters away from us - another table with 3 people seated next to it. Unfortunately for us, they were more busy talking loudly on the phone than emptying their plates. And that's how it all started. Sri Lanka VS France pissing contest has began. If I wanted to be rude I would just say: "who's got a bigger dick? Seriously, just get 'em out, put them on the fricking table to compare and get it over done with." One wanted peace and quit, the other one was loud and louder. When asked politely to maybe take the phone call outside so that way he wouldn't disturb that peace and quit (our and of the other guests), Sri Lanka man used all of the swear words that exist in the English vocabulary and started throwing insults towards the French (he thought I was one of them too) - he was mainly referring to the past events. He made sure we understood he was loaded and helping this country while we were less than nothing, killing this country. I truly dislike confrontations of this kind and I wished I was elsewhere but in that room. Thank God it never came to a physical fight otherwise I don't even want to imagine where we could have ended up!


After the heated early morning, we walked through the town to get to the bus station from where we needed to take the T-B to get to Fianarantsoa. But the heat must have travelled and when we arrived to the station, the fighting party wasn't over. So when it doesn't work with Sri Lanka, try a group of un-organized Malagasy people against one already very angry French male who just wants his seat! First it was the blue car, then it was the red one. Which is fine, as long as we've got our seats, right? Only then they wanted to put us into a third car that was almost empty and as you know, that means only one thing - you are about to wait for hours and hours, waiting for the car to fill up so that way it can leave. And that was out of the question. So we "fought" for our seats in the second car. So what that we had no legroom and the heat from the motor was burning our mozzicone?!


What I do not understand - and every time I see this while in a T-B, it hits me - people get sick while they are driven from one town to another. The road is bad, the space in the car is small if existent, the air is hot. Take that and add a travel sickness to it and what do you get? Lots of vomiting people. I get the fact that one can be sick in a car, on a boat, on a plane. What I do NOT get is - why would you want to spend your money on food, eat it just before the car hits the road and repeat this every time the car takes a break? It's money thrown into thin air, totally wasted. And it's not as if they had money to waste in this country!


Like a chameleon, I adapt. I adapt to the weather, I adapt to the mentality of people who surround me, I adapt to the "little" or to the "lot" I've got, I adapt to the food, I do my best to adapt to the traditions. I adapt when I have the electricity, I adapt when I have internet connection. Or when I do not have them. Today, in Fianar, we've got it all. The comfort of a beautiful big room, the comfort of hot water, the comfort of electricity, the comfort of being connected via network. And I enjoyed all of it. Plus a delicious zucchini soup, pizza (yes, I do eat those too from time to time), hot lemongrass tea, pancake with dark Malagasy chocolate and I topped it all by watching an episode of Luther. I took some of you on the ride with me. And what a blast!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment