Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Happiness

India 2008
... is the most beautiful emotion of them all. It is also the antonym of regret and the synonym of satisfaction, contentedness. What I really want to write about today are regrets but since I'm not a negative person, I prefer to "attack" the subject from a different angle.

Both happiness and regret are emotions. For those who know me - they know how emotional I can get. And if you ask them which emotion do I show the most frequently, I believe it's going to be the happier one, the enthusiastic one, the one that makes my eyes sparkle from the excitement and/or the tears of joy.

Since I came back to Paris (almost 3 weeks now), I have been catching up with my friends. Awesome times. And what do we do? We talk, we laugh, we dream, we laugh some more, we eat, we drink (they smoke, they drink), we talk some more, we hug, we start making plans for the future (or rather I make the plans and make them daydream about the possibilities that are out there!), we talk about the past. And that's how regrets came to the surface. Obviously, none of them were mine. For I have NONE.

Impossible, you say? Nothing is impossible, I say right back at you! Life without regrets is actually easier than you think. No, I do not suffer from Antisocial personality disorder. I am very capable of feeling regret and remorse. But I choose not to and instead, I choose to learn from the past, from the eventual mistakes.

Why regret something you have or have not done in the past? Why regret something you have or haven't seen in the past? Why regret at all? It's all about choices. The choices we make are the choices we believe to be the best at the time of making them. If you see what I mean! :) Now, there are also things you cannot change or influence. So why bother? Why make that unhappy face that only deepens the "grumpy" kind of wrinkle?!


Whatever the path I chose in the past, it led me to wonderful things, amazing places, exciting discoveries, great people. I have learned, I have taught, I have exchanged. Yes, some of the paths were more difficult than others but it was highly worth the effort, the momentarily frustration. And so, there is absolutely nothing to regret. Regret is gloomy, sad, dark and painful. The "should have", "would have", "could have" and all of those "ifs" - they take you nowhere.

So yes, I choose to be happy and to be positive and smile even when it rains 5 days in a row! And if you are having trouble not seeing the end of the tunnel, this is what I have to say to you: 

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way (instead of going forwards)." It's better to look back on life and say "I can't believe I did that" rather than to look back and say "I wish I did that".


No comments:

Post a Comment