Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sakura



Today, a dream of mine came true. It was not planned for today nor for tomorrow. I even thought it was doomed for this year (again)! And yet, it happened. This is the beauty of our universe. Sometimes it doesn't give you a warning, it just rubs it into your face full force. And you better grab it, breath it in and keep it in forever (and ever, cross my heart!!!). For these are the moments of pure beauty, magic and happiness. Isn't it what a "dream come true" is supposed to be about? Well, for me - it is.

Sakura.

Curious of nature, I asked my japanese friends to explain the meaning of all this to me and they surprised me. Some of them answered simply - it's "cherry blossom" because that's what it is. Some of them said it was a very special period in Japan, when people go out, have picnics and enjoy the warmer spring weather under the cherry trees. Some of them just became dreamy and never spoke a word. But that was maybe the language barrier that stopped us from exchanging.

Before I googled it (yes, yes), I though that cherry blossom was special only in Japan. But I learned that it is to be seen also in Australia, Brazil, China, Korea, USA, Germany, Turkey, UK, Canada... Who would have thought?! And so tonight, I'll be going to bed somewhat smarter. Yay!

In Japan, the custom goes back all the way to the Nara period (NO, I'm not gonna bore you with the dates). I was also told that for a very long time it was limited to the elite of the Imperial court. Pfffffff! What? Say that again? Did the common people walk with their eyes shut???!!! It made my friend laugh but I admit - I still do not understand that part. But I have good news to tell you. The Edo period changed it and common people could again walk with their eyes wide open. Here I say "sugoi"!!! Cherry blossoms also symbolize clouds. Why clouds? Well, it's simple - the blooming happens overwhelmingly massively. Cherry blossoms are associated with mortality and for that reason they are symbolic.

Obviously, like almost everything else in Japan, the blossoms can be also eaten. Now I do not know how exactly it all happens but basically they are pickled in salt and ume (plum) vinegar and then the flavor is extracted and used in the sweet recipes. I must say, the candies I have tried in the past with the mentioned extract made my lips twirl immediately in a very unnatural and unattractive way. Just for the (twisted) fun of it, everybody should try at least once!

And how do I really see this cherry blossom? Well, it is something else!!! It is colorful, it is playful, it is magical, it is serene, it is mesmerizing, it is peaceful, it is as fluffy as those clouds up in the sky. But most of all - for me, cherry blossom glows.

No comments:

Post a Comment