Thursday, February 6, 2014

Orient me or I'll point the direction to you myself

There, there. Did I hear you say "did you (meaning me, of course!) update your blog this week yet?" Yes, you keep insisting? Well, watch out for what you ask for because you might have to be glued to your screens for a (long) while once you get me started!

Today was not like some other regular day. It was indeed the Orientation day for NMIT International Students. And how it all went, you may ask?

Well, for starters, lemme tell you dear darlings - I'm 36 years old & still too restless when it comes to my "first day at school"... Even though - orientation should NOT count as a regular school day. But back to being restless. It was all supposed to start at 9:15am & so I could have had a normal time wake up call (from my lovely phone service!). But no, the internal clock decided otherwise & as soon as the 6am hit the day it was like "Hello, I'm awake!!!".

So did I have a choice? How can you fight one very excited mind & heart? You can not. Nope, not this puppy!

Don't worry, I'll spare you the boring part when I'm getting ready, taking it real easy & ending up by leaving the house without finding the time to actually have my breakfast. And I am NOT, I repeat: I am NOT one of those who spend hours putting the fake face on (no, I don't wear make up - like EVER!) or anything of that girlie stuff girls can do. I know what I'm gonna wear, I know I'm putting my hair up (more comfy!), I know I can be ready in 15min. No sweat. Still. I. Left. Without. Eating. Breakfast. Go & figure.

So, departure time is set to 8am. It is about 8km of bike ride from my "home" campus to my "school" campus. So what do I need 1h15 for? Well, it's a road I haven't taken before & sincerely, even though my mind is confident about my bike skills, my body is (for sure!!!) not the bike material. Meaning, I'm just not fit anymore! Disappointed? I can assure you - not as much as my lazy self!

I was riding with my newly acquired Polish friend Asia (to be pronounced "ashia") & I thank this universe for such a lovely helpful friend! Not even 5 minutes into the ride, the chain of my brand new sexy red bike gets all tangled & stuck. Not a soul to help us at this "early" hour until a Chinese lady comes along & 6 hands later, we succeed putting the chain back on the track! Xiexie & now, good bye 'cause we gotta go! Black oily cut hands 'n all.

There are lots of bike paths that go through the parks here & so the ride is rather pleasant for the eye. It is also hilly. For a lazy, unfit me, it's the worst combo. Even though I keep breathing heavily with my tongue sticking out (yes, very elegant, I know!), I carry on pedaling. Until... Badabooom, the chain gets tangled & stuck again. I mean. Really??? Why? Because I got up too early? Because I wanted to enjoy the view? Now, my brand new sexy red bike is not so sexy to me anymore. Now, I'm not much of a sex symbol either because of it acting up on me! All flushed, sweaty & with disgusting hands on top of it. Again, nobody stops to help. Until my "invisible" (just repeating her words) friend suggests I jump in front of the next biker that comes our way. To ask for help. Which I did. He stopped & he tried. He got all flushed, sweaty & got his hands awfully disgusting too. When the chain was back on, huge smiles spread on 3 flushed faces & we all rushed off into the wild. Pedaling wildly all juiced out.

Thankfully, we made it on time. Registered, sat down & listened & listened & listened (& played a mahjong game but shhhhh, don't tell anybody - it was just one round after all!).

We were welcomed by heaps of different people (well, hello right back atcha!) who all informed us about the school, about the teams that are here to help us in case we need it (will keep it in mind), about Visa, about public transportation (no concession for international students this year!!! that SUCKS big time), about security when going to the beaches (remember the flags & don't swim into the RIP currents!), about culture cards (yay, events for free!), about events with SLAM (yay, more events for free + you can win things by playing!), about our rights (good to know), about how the police is there to protect us (yes, phliiiz)... We were told we should be serious about our studies (is there any other way???) but also that we should go out, party hard (just repeating!) & have fun. I say, count on me!

My first class (theory) starts on Tuesday Feb 11th & obviously I cannot wait. I might not even go to sleep before it does begin. My practical classes will be on Wednesdays & Thursdays. Which means that every week, I will have a 4 day long weekend. How cool is that!!!??? And there you have it dear darling, you have been oriented. Welcome to my school world.
you'll find me in the building "K"

No comments:

Post a Comment